Become a Dementia Friendly Business!
Dementia Friendly Business / Organization Training Program
What is a Dementia Friendly Business/Organization?
Any business/organization in Iowa can become “dementia friendly.” From grocery stores to restaurants and real estate agencies to churches, there is a specific content tailored for each type of business. Since the majority of people with dementia live in the community, all sectors of the community need to be equipped and ready to serve clients with dementia.
This training will also help employers and coworkers better understand, accommodate, and empathize with employees who may be caring for a loved one with dementia.
Read a testimony from one of our presenters, Dr. Elaine Eshbaugh, here.
What does a business/organization have to do to be recognized as a Dementia Friendly business?
- Attend/host a one-hour training presented by a dementia friendly trainer. Register for a training here.
- A minimum of 50% of staff/volunteers with a goal of 100% must attend training
- Agree to discuss and consider dementia friendly changes in your business/organization
- Agree to support people living with dementia and caregivers as much as possible
- This training is offered on a free will donation
Perks for business/organization:
1) Receive a “Dementia Friendly Business” certificate and window decal for store front
2) Logo placed on Dementia Friendly Iowa website
3) Featured shoutout on the Dementia Friendly Iowa social media pages
4) Gain skills to identify and communicate with a customer/client who may have dementia (benefits people living with dementia and their caregivers)
5) Receive recommendations about how to modify business practices to best serve people living with dementia and their caregivers
6) Individual staff members will be considered “Dementia Friends”
A dementia friendly business/organization:
- Receives education for management and staff about dementia to serve customers better
- Recognizes signs of dementia in customers or clients
- Communicates more effectively with patience and understanding
- Works to develop and maintain business practices that keep people with dementia in mind.
Quotes from previous training attendees
Ready to get started?